answers the DR FEELGOOD questionaire
This questionaire was made for the Official Dr Feelgood Website in 1997.
A. FULL NAME: Gordon Russell
B. DATE & PLACE OF BIRTH: 4/6/1958, Hampstead, London, England
C. WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES? Cinema, Reading, Sport, Music
D. FAVOURITE COLOUR: Red
E. FAVOURITE FOOD & DRINK(S): Italian Food, Indian Food; Moderate consumptions of Wine, Beer, Whiskey
F. WHAT IS YOUR WORST FEAR OR PHOBIA? Not being able to play music
G. WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY? Just about everything that doesn't make me sad
H. WHAT MAKES YOU LAUGH? Funny films, Funny friends. I like laughing.
I. WHAT MAKES YOU SAD OR ANGRY? At the moment racism, and all the problems there are in Africa.
TO TOP OR MENU
1. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE (JOB/MUSIC) BEFORE BECOMING A "FEELGOOD"? Played in lots of bands in pubs around London. First professional job was with soul singer Geno Washington.
2. WHEN DID YOU JOIN DR FEELGOOD? January 1983
3a. WHY DID YOU JOIN DR FEELGOOD AND NOT ANOTHER BAND? It was the best job offer plus they were one of my favourite bands.
3b. IF YOU COULD TURN TIME BACKWARDS WOULD YOU DO THE SAME? Yes
4. ANY SPECIAL EXPERIENCE OR MEMORIES FROM THOSE DAYS WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US? Just about every gig was a great experience.
5. WHAT HAD YOU ENJOYED MOST ABOUT BEING PART OF DR FEELGOOD? Travelling, playing live.
6a. WHEN DID YOU LEAVE DR FEELGOOD? May 1989
6b. IF YOU COULD TURN TIME BACKWARDS WOULD YOU DO THE SAME ? OR, WHAT WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENTLY? --- ?
7. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE SINCE LEAVING DR FEELGOOD? Have lived in Paris, France. Have done sessions and acted as sideman for French and American artists. Have tried to put my own groups together unsuccessfully, until forming duo Two Timers which is working nicely now.
8. IN WHICH OTHER BAND(S) HAVE YOU PLAYED, OR ARE YOU PLAYING NOW? See answer to question no.7 - Also I played with Eddie & The Hot Rods for about a year off and on. I left them to concentrate all my time on TWO TIMERS.
9. ON WHICH OTHER RECORDS OR TAPES HAVE YOU PLAYED? (excluding Dr Feelgood ones) Two Timers ('96), Geno Washington - Put out the cat ('81)
10. WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO BECOME A MUSICIAN, AND WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THE INSTRUMENT YOU PLAY? When I first heard a record by T. Rex. I chose the guitar because everybody at my school was playing but everyone else gave up.
TO TOP OR MENU
11. ARE THERE ANY OTHER INSTRUMENT(S) YOU ARE REASONABLY ABLE AT PLAYING? Not really although the last few years I've been playing a lot of acoustic guitar and have had to learn a new style. Also I just started playing around with a mandoline.
12a. WHICH KIND(S) OF MUSIC/BANDS DO YOU ENJOY LISTENING TO? (Favourite bands/musicians, favourite albums) I listen to so much music but I suppose top of the pop for me is always Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Otis Redding, Rod Stewart/Faces, The Band, just to name but a few. Generally I like all Blues, Soul, Rock & Roll.
12b. WHICH ARE YOUR FAVOURITE DR FEELGOOD TRACKS AND WHY? She Does it Right - because its the first one I heard from them. She's a Wind up - because its a perfect rock/pop song (fast, short, great chorus). And I'm very proud that I introduced Mad Man Blues into the band repertoire.
13a. WHICH KIND(S) OF MUSIC DON´T YOU LIKE? Nothing in particular. I try to listen to everything and there's always something in all types of music I enjoy, also there is always something I don't enjoy.
14. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE? To keep on playing with my duo Two Timers and get better at it.
15. WHAT ARE YOUR WISHES FOR THE FUTURE MUSIC WISE? Same as 14.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR PERSONAL WISHES? As everybody. Be happy.
17. IF YOU COULD SETTLE DOWN SOMEWHERE ELSE, WHICH COUNTRY OR TOWN WOULD YOU LIKE TO LIVE AND WHY? Really I just concentrate on where I am and what I'm doing at the moment but maybe one day Australia.
18. WHAT IS OR WAS YOUR FAVOURITE COUNTRY FOR TOURING/GIGGING AND WHY? I enjoy playing music in any country.
20. WHAT MAKES SOME GIGS MORE ENJOYABLE THAN OTHERS? If people really listen to what you do then you want to give more then everybody enjoys the contact which is what its all about for me.
21. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN BORED FROM BEING ASKED TO PLAY A SONG AGAIN AND AGAIN? WHICH SONG(S)? Not really.
22. WHAT SPECIAL QUALITY DOES DR FEELGOOD HAVE WHICH OTHER BANDS LACK? Difficult for an ex member to answer that but I suppose after all this time you could say - the strenght to continue.
23. WHAT WOULD Y O U LIKE TO BE MOST REMEMBERED FOR? Just for some of the great live shows I played with Dr Feelgood. But hopefully what I'm doing now as well.
24. LIST YOUR STAGE EQUIPMENT (INSTRUMENT(S)/AMPS ETC): Fender Telecaster. Fender Pro Junior amp. Martin D. 28 Acoustic guitar. Plus my suitcase (You have to see what I'm doing now to understand that).
25. HAVE YOU ANYTHING TO SAY TO YOUR FANS? Just hello and hope to get to play everywhere to see you again.
[ HOME ][ GIG GUIDE ][ LIVE REVIEWS ][ TOUR DIARY ][ PHOTOS ]
[ BIOGRAPHY ][ PERSONAL INFO ][ DISCOGRAPHY ][ CD REVIEWS ]
[ MERCHANDISE ][ SONGS & LYRICS ][ GUESTBOOK ][ MESSAGES ]
[ LINKS ][ E-MAIL TWO TIMERS ][ E-MAIL GABI ]
COPYRIGHT 1996-2005 BY GABI
SCHWANKE & TWO TIMERS
(Design, Photos, Texts, etc. - Unless noted otherwise.)
WEBSITE CREATED & MAINTAINED by GABI SCHWANKE - LAST MODIFIED JANUARY 18m 2001